Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Coverer: Weird Al Yankovic

Technically, Weird Al songs aren't covers--they're parodies. However, I'd argue that what he does is way more admirable--whereas a cover is a redo, a parody is a rework. He comes up with completely new lyrics, and they're usually far more intelligent and clever than what the original artist recorded. He's a brilliant musician, skilled writer, and a fan-frigging-tastic performer--seriously, if you've never seen his live act, you're missing out on a truly great show (I've seen him five times myself). Plus, he's an (unconventionally) attractive dude.

His videos are masterful, too--Exhibit A, White and Nerdy:


He's loaded the vid with so much stuff, you almost don't notice the dude who's hangin' with him.

This is the video and song that really got the world to notice him:


The squeak noises you hear at the intro are what inspired me to teach myself to make hand farts--an invaluable life skill.

Another masterpiece: his sendup of Smells Like Teen Spirit:


I read that Kurt Cobain loved this video--most artists understood that the Weird Al treatment was a tribute and honor (unlike Prince, who consistently snubbed Al's requests for cover permission).

His second dip into Michael Jackson's catalogue is probably my favorite Al video:


Ding Dong, yo--Ding Dong.

No comments:

Post a Comment