Saturday, April 4, 2009

Covering: Neil Diamond

Neil Diamond was hot shiitake in the 70s and early 80s--then, all of a sudden he's dorkier than a pocket protector on a Members Only jacket. Cool people didn't listen to his stuff--their parents did. Well, now he's having a resurgence--he's got a crapload of friends on MySpace, and if you should choose to do Sweet Caroline at karaoke, you'll bring down the house. Go figure.

Let's start with Elvis Presley's cover of SC:

I would have ended with that, seeing as it's...you know...the King. However, considering you can see how messed up on prescription drugs the man is, it's a wee bit sad.

On to this version of Coming to America, by a coupla kids that call themselves the War Ponies:

I wasn't going to post this song because I hate it, but they're so into it, plus the clip has Spandex and ukuleles. Really, I had no choice.

A short but sweet Forever in Blue Jeans, done for a Gap ad by Mr. Will Ferrell:

When I was little, I thought he was singing "I'd much rather be the Reverend Blue Jeans," which sounds like he'd like to convert from Judaism to be some sort of long-haired hippie preacher.

This version of Solitary Man brings tears to my eyes. Johnny Cash does that to me a lot.

Bonus points if you can guess who's doing the backup vocals...

No comments:

Post a Comment